You are here:

Pediatrics/concerned mom


My 6yr. old son has a small round solid bump on his gum. I have no idea how he could have acquired it or what to do about it. Should I take him to the ER or is there something I can do about it at home.

Hi, Princess (my first encounter with royalty today!),

This is probably a mucocele, a benign (not cancerous) lesion of the inside of the mouth.  They develop over time and are harmless.  Some go away and some don't.  They can, if needed, be easily removed by an oral surgeon.  Don't go to the ER.  Make an appointment with your doctor or have it checked at the next physical, unless it is changing or you are just concerned.

Good luck, Dr. Olson


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Olson, MD


I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]