Pediatrics/Regarding Easy 4/comvac 4

QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

At the time of my sons birth he was given BCG, OPV & hepatitis B1. On 6th week he was given easy 5/ Comvac 5 and IPV. Again on 10th week he was given easy 5/ Comvac 5 and IPV. Now the doctor has told me that he is going to give my son easy 4 & IPV during the 14th week (Around 26th Sep 2013). What is the reason for giving easy 4 & IPV during the 14th week and not easy 5.

I would also like to know as to what are the other vaccine that should be given to my son after easy 4 vaccine & IPV. What would be the time period in which those vaccines (as mentioned by you) should be given.

ANSWER: Hi Saurabh,

Easy 5/ Comvac 5 has hepatitis B component, which is not needed.

In fact, it would have been better if the baby had received Easy 4 even at 10 weeks vaccination. Ideally, 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine should be given 5 months after 2nd dose (i.e., around 6.5 months of age in your baby's case)

Your baby has not received Rotavirus and PCV (Pneumococcal vaccine) that are also recommended at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. Rotavirus vaccine CANNOT be given now; however, PCV vaccine can and should be given: 3 doses followed by booster at 12-15 months.

For further schhdule, you can visit official website of Indian Academy of Pediatrics:

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Thanks Doctor for you valueable advice.

Is there any issue .....since the doctor has given easy 5 (instead of easy 4) at 10 weeks which means my baby has been given 3rd dose of hepatitis b vaccine one months after the 2nd dose (Ideally it should be given 5 months after 2nd dose). Could this error as caused by my doctor be rectified. Would early dosage of Hepatitis B to my son impact his health in future.

Also let me know about Rotavirus and PCV vaccine. When should my child get these two vaccines in current scenario. What is the course for these two vaccines.

Hi Saurabh,

You can take another dose of hepatitis B vaccine at 6.5 months (ignoring the dose at 10 weeks): Extra dose of vaccine has NO HARM.

As I informed earlier, Rotavirus vaccine CANNOT be given. If is NOT SAFE to give this vaccine after 3 months of age. Regarding PCV also I had informed you in my earlier answer: Your baby should be given 3 doses of the vaccine at one month interval followed by booster at 12-15 months.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.