Pediatrics/Sleep and siblings

I've worked very hard over the last three years, trying to get my older daughter to sleep. I never did the crying it out, so the process was very gradual for her to sleep through the night. She regressed when the baby was born 10 months ago but is better now. She still needs me to sit with her before falling asleep, however. I've been a lot more conscious of sleep issues with the baby so as to prevent the problems my older daughter had. The problem now is that I don't know how to put the infant to sleep with my older daughter around. I am trying to combine their sleep schedules, and they sleep in the same room. The baby is always very excited when her sister is around, so sleep is the last thing she wants. Do I have to separate them to get them both to sleep? I am responsible for both bed times, so I am not sure how to do this. Any suggestions you can provide would be most helpful. Thank you in advance.

Hi, Maria,

It will be very difficult to get both of them to fall asleep at the same time.  Do you have a separate room for both of them?  If so, have them sleep in different rooms.  If not, then I would stagger the sleep times, even if this is not the most convenient thing for you to do.  A three year old can go to sleep about an hour after the baby and if she is quiet, shouldn't wake the baby up.  Having them together and trying to get them to sleep will be tough, unless the timing is different.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.