Pediatrics/Sma syndrome

My daughter has superior mesenteric artery syndrome. She has an NJ tube currently, in hopes of fixing it. I guess I am just wanting to learn as much about this as I can. She had a back brace form spondy on her L5 and that they think caused this. How long is the recovery for something like this, and can it occur again? And is it something that I would have to watch for in my other kids.

Hi, lynn,

I am not a peds surgeon, the experts on this type of problem.  You doctor, hopefully a surgeon is involved in this, can give you an idea of the length of time it will take to nourish her to the point were the artery is not pinched off.  I have not heard of this running in families, but have not done a literature search on this specific issue.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.