Pediatrics/small pimples on toddler

Question
My granddaughter is Malado and 2 years old.  She has small bump like pimples on her outer thighs and outer arms.  They don't seem to bother her at all but I noticed them on her sister when she was younger too.  Can you tell me what they might be?  Her father is African and her mother is Caucasian and neither of them seem to know  what they are either.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi, Patricia,

These are probably keratosis pilaris, a benign skin condition that generally runs in families.  These are hard little bumps, don't itch and generally need no treatment except daily moisturizers to keep them soft.  There is no effective treatment to take them away.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD