Pediatrics/Toddler social behavior

Question
QUESTION: My son is 5 yrs old. He started speaking quite late as compared to other kids of his age. Now he talks to me throughout the day, whatever he wants to speak of. But if i ask him what he did in school or what are you doing now, he doesn't take interest in answering them. After asking him strongly he answers.
When it comes to communicating with others, be in school, day-care or with neighbours, he will not answer if anyone asks his name (although he knows the answer). He doesn't feel the necessity of replying when anyone asks him a question. Even after my prompting also, he wont reply. While playing with other kids also he will not bother to talk to them or communicate in any way. He will just make himself comfortable playing with their toys. He enjoys and his happy that way.
But this way he is lacking a lot in his social behavior. Although all kids love to be with him and play with him. Its not that my son doesn't like kid's company, but in his own way.
Kindly help me how to make him socialize.

ANSWER: Hi Papiya,

First and foremost, we as parents must understand and accept uniqueness of each child: Every child is different and it's OK to be different from others. We all like our children to be the way WE WANT them to be...but they would ultimately become they are destined to be. This should be very clear.

We need to guide our children with above perspective. The key phrase here is "guide our children" (and not "direct our children")

To help your child socialize more, you just need to let him be in company of other kids in his age group. That's all.

It is common and normal for children of this age not to answer your questions about their day in school. Never mind; try to ask him the same questions in a more playful manner (without them appearing like a "set questionnaire". Please don't coax too much.

Having said that, you may have to discuss this further with your pediatrician IF your son's teachers in school report CONSISTENTLY adversely  about your son's behaviour in school...which I guess is not very likely in your son's case...

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Thank you for the valuable suggestion. I will try to improve from my side, no doubt i do coax a lot.
Well, his teachers do tell us about his social behavior, but not adversely. His attitude attracts all kids towards him, but he doesn't initiate communication verbally. He will eat snacks from others tiffin boxes etc. but without talking. When i meet his classmates, they ask me aunty why doesn't he talk to us?
Otherwise acedemically, his teachers are giving good feedback. He answers questions asked on black board or note book, writes well. Yes but he doesn't prefer to recite poems or story in class ( although he listens & learns them & recites them at home even when i don't ask him to ).

Answer
Hi Papiya,

If such behaviour is really consistent (i.e., the behavior of not communicating verbally much in different "settings": home, school, neighbourhood) AND doesn't seem to improve, it would  be worthwhile to consult a child psychologist once. However, please note that there is NOTHING TO PANIC.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar