I was recently advised that my 6 year old has kidney scarring on both her kidneys from previous UTI's. (DMSA scan in Canada)
Left function 34% and Right function 66%
I am told about a test to determine reflux VCUG.
What are the side effects/risks to such a test, on ovaries, etc.

Thank you.

There are 2 tests available - one where dye is put in the bladder via a catheter - this is quite invasive and involves quite a lot of X rays. The other involves an injection of some radioactive dye which is followed thru the kidneys. This is less invasive and involves less radiation and would be more appropriate at this age.
However if she is not having problems with recurrent infections I am not sure how identification of the presence of reflux is going to change management.
You need to speak to the doctor looking after your daughter.

Dr Graham Smith

I am accredited in general paediatrics and paediatric nephrology and and am happy to answer questions on both topics. It is not possible or safe to assess acutely sick children through this medium. Such children should be taken to their own doctor, where a full history can be taken and an examination carried out.

I have been a consultant paediatrician and paediatric nephrologist for 13 years. I have been involved in paediatrics for 22 years.

Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
British Association for Paediatric Nephrology
European Society for Paediatric Nephrology
International Pediatric Nephrology Association

Archives of Disease in Childhood
British Medical Journal
Pediatric Nephrology
Current Paediatrics
Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation
Nephrology and Urology

MA (Cantab)
MB BS (London)