Pediatrics/watery stool in baby

QUESTION: Hello dr
My baby girl is one month and 20 days old.she was having yellow stool almost after every feed so my dr told me to get stool examine.the result were her ph was 6 and reducing substance was positive. So she gave us vizylac for 7 days.she was fine fine for few days.after that she started to have watery stool after everyfeed.dr told us to change milk and stop breatfeed. I was giving her isomil formula milk for 15 days and nutrolin b for 10 days.after 15 days when I started breastfeeding her stool was watery. Please tell me what should I do.

ANSWER: Hi Tazeens,

Babies can NORMALLY pass such motions and no treatment is usually required, unless the child is sick (lethargic, not feeding well, passing urine < 8 times in 24 hours). Breastfeeding should be continued.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Thank you so much
Then does she is having watery seedy stool . should I breastfeed her or not.
She wet more than 10 daiper in 24 hrs.

Hi Tazeens,

Yes, you should DEFINITELY breastfeed. Breastfed babies pass such semi-formed to watery stools since breastfed is totally digested: leaving only water and gases...Top milk (of any type) is not so well digested: thus there is solid undigested material: hence stools are more firm.

Please continue breastfeeding as it would help the baby in every possible way (something none of the other formulae can match!!)

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.