Pediatrics/10 month old baby eating problems...

Hello sir,
My bBy is 10 month and 12 days old....i have started giving solids to her since when she was 6 month old...the problem is she dosent eat lumpy snd textuted foods....she gags as soon as i try...nd sometimes she throws up even her previous foods and milk....i have to make runny food to fill her stomach...though she fights to eat our foods...and i do try to make her eat that also but after taking one or two bites she gags on it also....even i have to grind the khichdi to make her eat and that also should be in running consistency...dont know what to do....plz help.....

Hi Priyanka,

Some babies take time to learn to swallow textured food, and we need to be patient. Howwver, it is most important to understand that you have to your best NOT to give in to the temptation of giving liquid food. The more you give that, the more she becomes used to it and will gag solids more. Hence, despite her gags, you have to continue to try textured foods, at least mashed ones, in whatever small amounts you can.

It's just like a toddler who is yet to learn walking: if he continues to fall while trying to learn, it is not that we keep the toddler from walking. If we keep him in our lap, he would never learn how to walk....It's just that the toddler is taking a little more time to learn how to walk...

However, if you are unable to see any success, despite your best efforts, it would be worthwhile to consult a specialist. And the specialist who can deal with such issues is an Occupational Therapist...some Speech Therapists also take care of such food aversions.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.