Pediatrics/6 Week Vaccine

Question
Respected Sir

Greetings...
I am blessed with a baby girl on 26 Nov 2013.
At Birth: BCG, RevacB, OPV was given.

1- On 9 Jan 2014, Combav 5, Prevnar13, OPV is given.
My doctor told me that Rotavirus vaccine will schedule at 10th, 14th week. But in IMMUNIZATION TABLE it is scheduled on 6th, 10th, 14th week. So, What should i opt?

2- At birth and on completion 0f 6 weeks, only OPV drops were given. Is IPV necessary? If Yes, then when?

Thanks alot for all the valueable suggestions.

Regards....
Bhanu Pratap
Jaipur

Answer
Hi Mr. Bhanu Pratap,

Here are the answers:

1. Your doctor is right. As per latest research, new guideline have been released in November 2013. There are two brands of Rotavirus vaccine that are available: Rotateq and Rotarix. If Roteteq is used, then 3 doses are to be given: at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. There is no change in this. If, however, Rotarix is used, then latest research has found that it is better if given at 10 and 14 weeks (rather than 6 and 10 weeks as per old guidelines). Only 2 doses are enough if Rotarix is used.

You can see the latest immunization chart, as recommended by IAP on last page of the following link: http://www.iapindia.org/IMM%20Schedule.pdf

2. Yes, IPV is much better and should be given routinely to all (You can see this also in the above link). IPV should be given at 6, 10, 14 weeks followed by booster at 16-18 months, OPV is to be given at birth, 6 months, 9 months and 5 years. In addition, OPV should be given at all Pulse Polio rounds: This is over and above routine vaccination.

As per the standard IAP guidelines, if IPV is started after 8 weeks, then only 2 doses at 2 monhs interval followed by booster at 16-18 months are sufficient (rather than 3 doses plus booster). hence, in your baby's case, IPV can be given at 10 and 18 weeks and booster at 16-18 months. OPV should be given at 6 months, 9 months and 5 years... plus Pulse Polio.

Please feel free to ask any further clarification. I would be hapy to help :-)

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar