Pediatrics/I cant get my 4 year old poop problem under controll

Question
My 4 year old daughter has had a poop problem from birth. We tried everything and nothing is working. My doctor said its all normal, she is on merilax but it don't work anymore. She will stand there and cry and scream because it hurts her that bad. when she gets it out its hard and most of the time as big as her head. I didn't even know that a butt hole could get that big. please help if I can try anything please.

Answer
Hi, DeAnn,

Constipation from birth is a different entity than acquired constipation.  Be sure she has had a lower GI exam to carefully rule out Hirschsprungs disease.  If this is ruled out, then a visit to a good pediatrician who is skilled at treating constipation and perhaps encopresis (stool leakage) would be suggested.  If your doctor isn't doing this, see someone else.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD