Pediatrics/discomfort drinking water

Question
My child 26 month old suddenly started having discomfort drinking water, as soon as she sips water,she puts her hand in her mouth and spits out,( I have tried room temp and cold water) acts like she's in pain,so I tried giving her apple juice mixed with water, she had it for 2 days, and after 2 days, expresses some kind of discomfort, I have tried to see the inside of her mouth to check for redness,but she seems ok, She eats other stuff like rice, banana ok, but not fluids,although she drink milk ok so far,this started about 3 days ago, my regular Ped is out of town.I would really appreciate any insight.

Answer
Hi Uma,

Your child needs to be examined to find out what's going on. Although it can be simply a behavioral issue, but it can rarely be even due to some neurological issue affecting her process of swallowing. If you can't consult her regular doctor, you can reach an emergency room/ hospital in your area and get her examined.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar