Pediatrics/Eye Size Issue in a baby.

Question
Shahrukh 2
Shahrukh 2  
Shahrukh 1
Shahrukh 1  
QUESTION: HI David,

Good day and Very Happy New year to you.

I would like to have ask you about my nephew's case. He is just around 2 months old (03NOV, 2013). He was delivered with C-Section after around 8.5 months pregnancy. At the time of birth, his eyes seems to be perfect due to which we haven't noticed his eye ball size. Now it is very obvious that one of his eye is defected or of small size. Is it any possibility this will become normal by the time or do we need to have immediate treatment for this. We are very afraid to take any treatment for this due to his age. Attached pics for your kind perusal. Need your kind support in this please.

Regards

Jahanzaib

ANSWER: Hi, Jahanzaib,

It appears that the eyelid on the L eye is protruding down over the eye.  It is unclear from these pictures whether the eye itself is smaller.  I doubt that is the case.  We often see abnormalities of the obicularis oculi muscles around the eye.  These can be significant if the eye lid covers part of the eye, causing visual problems later on.  

Please see a good pediatric eye doctor, or even a skilled adult eye doctor, to see what is going on.  If this is an eye lid muscle problem, then surgery is usually a later option.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Shahrukh 5
Shahrukh 5  

Shahrukh 6
Shahrukh 6  
QUESTION: Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Please note that his pupils moves simultaneously on the same time. There is no issue with the pupil. As far as the previous pics are concern, attached more pics for your kind perusal.

Regards

JB

Answer

Looking at the picture labeled 5, it seems that the light reflex from the camera is not on the same place on each eye.  This may indicate an eye muscle problem as well.  This is all the more reason to see an eye doctor to find out if this is an eye size problem, and/or strabismus/eye lid problem.  Can't tell you much more than this.  In my practice this clearly is an infant that needs to be referred.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD