Pediatrics/Immunization delay

Question
Dear Doctor,
         My baby is now 10 week age.I only given pulse polio.But as per schedule pentavac recommended 6week.so

1) may i start 1st dose of PENTAVAC SD+PNUMO23+ROTARIX???  

If yes

2) alredy i given pulse polio on 8 week.so  during 1st dose of PENTAVAC SD+  PNUMO23 + ROTARIX again OPV is require??

3)In my town PENTAVAC SD & PNUMO23 is out of stock.i alredy delay
so may i use COMBI 5+ PNUMOVAX (Available) or i would wait 4 availavility??

kindly help me.I will wait for ur proper guidence.

Thanking you

Regards from
Mizanur rahaman

Answer
Hi Mizanur Rahaman,

First, Pneumo 23/ Pneumovax is NOT recommended..it is not effective at all in a child below 2 years of age. What is recommended is "Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine" (PCV) for which there are only 2 brands that are available: PREVENAR 13 and SYNFLORIX.

Second, as per current guidelines, IPV (Injectable Polio Vaccine) is recommended at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. OPV is to be given at birth, 6 months, 9 months and 5 years of age. In addition, OPV should be given at all Pulse Polio rounds: that is over and above routine vaccination.

Third, I hope the baby has been given OPV, BCG and Hepatitis B vaccines soon after birth. If not, you have to start from there and then follow immunization schedule.

You can see the new immunization chart (published in November 2013) at: http://www.iapindia.org/IMM%20Schedule.pdf

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar