Pediatrics/Limited babbling in 9.5 month old

My baby boy is 9.5 month old and he only started to add consonants to his voice play just three weeks ago. He is very vocal, but doesn't do the classical babbling of "mamama", "dadada", or "babababa". He strings only G sound, such as "Aga Aga Aga", "Ga Ga Ga", or "Uga Uga Uga". He also says B or M ocassionally, but typically doesn't reduplicate those. He started to imitate sounds just this week, but vowels only. Should I be concerened that something is wrong with his speech? Milestone checklist says that he should be saying Bababa, or mamama and back consonants like g should come later. All other milestones are fine, is learning to walk, cruising, sitting, and grasping with pincer grasp. Please help

Hi, Juls,

His speech is fine.  As long as you feel he hears well and often this is checked definitively at birth, at least in my state of Michigan, this is within the broad normal range of speech.  He is doing what he should be doing.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.