Pediatrics/vaccination

Question
QUESTION: My baby is given oral polio drop for 0 n 1st dose, for second dose of poli dr has given injectable polio vaccine (IPV).What is different between oral polio and injectable polio vaccine? Is it necessary to give  IPV in 2nd and subsequent doses instead of OPV? Thank you so much. Tenzy

ANSWER: Hi Tenzy,

IPV is much better then OPV. Current recommendations of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) clearly state that IPV should be given at 6, 10, 14 weeks followed by booster at 16-18 months, OPV is to be given at birth, 6 months, 9 months and 5 years. In addition, OPV should be given at all Pulse Polio rounds: This is over and above routine vaccination.

As per the standard IAP guidelines, if IPV is started after 8 weeks, then only 2 doses at 2 monhs interval followed by booster at 16-18 months are sufficient (rather than 3 doses plus booster). hence, in your baby's case, IPV can be given at 10 and 18 weeks and booster at 16-18 months. OPV should be given at 6 months, 9 months and 5 years... plus Pulse Polio.

You can see the latest immunzation chart on the last page of following link: http://www.iapindia.org/IMM%20Schedule.pdf

Please feel free to ask any further clarification. I would be happy to help :-)

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Hellow sir,
1. My baby is born on 3.12.13., she got at birth vaccination on day 10 of her life i.e on 12.12.13,,in immunization schedule IAP it is written it should be given within 1 week. So, the vaccination which my baby got  will be effective?
2. In the immunization schedule vaccinations are given at birth, 6wks,10wks 14wks etc.., since my baby is given her at birth dose on 12.12.13 and not on her birth day, should i count 6wks from day of 1st vaccination?
3.she got her 6wk vaccination on 18.1.14  i.e ( her age 6wks 5 day), easy 5 and poliovac. Actualy her dr is looking for iimovac bt since it is not available in her clnic she gave poliovac . I would like to know that is it fine to give imovac in next vaccinatn day or shoulf i get poliovac for next doses.?
4.my baby is scheduled to get her 10wk vaccination on 17.2.14 i.e (her age 11wks). Her dr sugest rotarix also, since rotarx is gien on 10 n 14 wks,, is it safe to get rotarix on that day along with dtp hib ipv? Or i should get on 10ek age of y baby? Is there ay side effect of rotarix ?
It is quiet long list of doubt. Hope you dont mind guiding me. Thank uou so much dr.puneet.. i appreciate your help.

Answer
Hi Tenzy,

Here are the answers:

1. It is preferable to take these vaccines as soon as possible after birth. However, vaccine won't be less effective if given at 10 days of age (There is only one exception: If mother is suffering from Hepatitis B (She is HBsAg positive), then it is MUST to take hepatitis B vaccine within 12 hours of birth (along with something called HBIG) to prevent transmission of infection from mother to baby)

2. No, the vaccines can be taken as scheduled. Minimum gap between 1st dose of hepatitis B vaccine (given at birth) and 2nd dose (given at 6 weeks) should be 1 month.

3. Both Poliovac and Imovax are brands of IPV. Ideally, same brand should be given to complete the course (i.e., Poliovac in your case). However, not a big issue if brand is changed

4. Yes, Rotarix can be taken along with DTP/HiB/IPV: no problem.

Also please note: Your baby should also be vaccinated against Pneumococcus (PCV vaccine)

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar