Pediatrics/bald spot on child

Question
Hi, My 6 year old is developing normally and is healthy. He has moderate seasonal allergies (pollen) and thats the only chronic condition. He has had a small bald patch for about 2 years. His hair is pretty thick so if it grows long it kind of covers it but if I cut his hair very short, you can see it. It's noticeable but doesn't jump at you. It hasn't gotten worse, and there was never any redness there. There are no other bald patches. Should I be concerned?

Answer
Hi,Karina,

A bald patch for a couple years that is unchanging is probably fine.  Next time you see the pediatrician, please have them look at it carefully.  If the skin appears normal and the remaining hair follicles are normal appearing, then just have them record the size and location and recheck it at the yearly PE.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD