Pediatrics/calorie output

I was wondering if anyone has measured the efficiency of calorie usage at different ages in human development? I couldn't gain weight as a teenager as anything I ate went right into pure energy while now at 34 I can lose weight. My calories just sit their in the form of fat in my gut. Do we simply change caloric priority with age or do we become less able to use calories well as we get older?

Hi, James,

Kids need more calories on a kcal/kg/day basis to grow than a stable adult does.  We tend to need to watch calories so as to not gain weight as an adult, because of changes in hormonal control of metabolism and because, generally, we are less active as we grow.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.