Pediatrics/low iga and pneumococcal vaccine

My 9 year old has tested for low IgA and his IgG is on the pretty close to the lowest end of the normal range. Is this something I should keep monitoring? He is pretty healthy though had one acute infection that required hospitalization and IV antibiotics. and I think he has sinus issues though I do not know how thats diagnosed. Basically he has an on off postnasal drip. His response to the pneumococcal vaccine was only 30%. I dont think re vaccination is recommended. What steps should I take going forward? Thanks

Hi, Shannon,

I am not an expert in this precise field, but I know that many kids with IgA deficiency fail to mount a supposedly adequate response to the pneumoccocal vaccine.  The vaccine won't hurt them, it just may not be fully effective.

I don't think additional vaccines would enhance this response.  I assume that you have a pediatric infectious disease person available, at least through your doctor, and if this person says otherwise, I would be happy to defer.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.