Pediatrics/About QUADROVAX & Pentavac

I have a daughter Nazia born 10 June 2014.
she has given two dose of Penatvac but third time my Doctor recommend QUADROVAX .
In side effect Pentavac was painless but when QUADROVAX she is feeling High fever 102*F and pain in her leg and crying so much.
I want to ask you that it was not ok to give her Pentavac. Or painful QUADROVAX is better than Pentavac.
I also want to ask you she has not given IPV is it compulsory when she is taking OPV regularly.
Mohd Junaid

Hi Mohd Junaid,

Pentavac is a combination of DTP, Hib and Hepatitis B vaccines. Quadrovax is a combination of DTP and Hib. Both are manufactured by same company: Serum Institute of India. The only difference between Pentavac and Quadrovax is that Quadrovax does not have hepatitis B component. There is no difference in side-effect profile of these vaccines. It is often seen that side effects are more with 2nd/3rddose of DTP are a bit more since the immune system is more stimulated. There is nothing to worry on this count. Most likely, it will settle within 48-72 hours of vaccination. If not, then follow up with your doctor.

Yes, IPV gives much better immunity against polio and should be administered. For babies in whom IPV is missed at 6-8 weeks of age, they can still be given the vaccine. For these babies only 2 doses (at 2 month interval)followed by booster at 16-18 months of age are sufficient (Instead of 3 doses plus booster).

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.