Pediatrics/Regarding vaccination at 10th week

Question
My child was given Pentaxim,HepB-2,PCV-1 and rotavirus at his 6th week.. On his 10th week, he was given Quadrovax, PCV-2, rotavirus and polio drops. Is tat fine? Shud we get him any other vaccination?
At 14th week should we get pentaxim or quadrovax?
I request you to clarify and educate me on above queries..

Answer
Hi Anita,

Pentaxim is a combination of DTaP ("acellular DTP"" "gentle or painless DTP"), IPV and Hib.

Quadrovax is a combination of DTwP ("whole cell" DTP: "normal" DTP) and Hib.

First, I must inform you that as per current guidelines (updated in November 2013), any vaccine containing DTaP is NOT RECOMMENDED as it has recently been found that DTaP is possibly not as efective as DTwP IN THE LONG RUN. Hence it is good that you switched to DTwP at 10 weeks. I would recemmend that you must go for DTwP containing vaccine only for all future doses (14 weeks and also at 1.5 years and 5 years).

Second, at 10 weeks, you have missed IPV and given OPV instead. Currently, IPV (Inactivated/ injectable Polio vaccine) is recommended as it offers better prtection against polio. Hence, I would recommend that IPV (IPV-2) must be given to your baby as soon as possible.

Third, there are 2 brands of Rotavirus vaccine: If Rotarix is used, only 2 doses are enough, If Rotateq is used then 3 doses are recommended at 6, 10 and 14 weeks.

Hence, your baby should be given IPV as soon as possible and then after a month: Quadrovax, IPV-3, PCV-2 and Rotavirus-3, if Rotateq has been used.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar