Pediatrics/seizures in 7.5 month baby

hi sir, my daughter is 7.5 months ol she was having seizure prob frm last 3,4 months bt diagnose in last week.. We are worried bcoz she is not holding her neck.. We went to ped. Neuro she told us to make MRI & EEG. MRI report is nrmal bt in EEG report it is mentioned Impression - Abnormal sleep EEG record suggestive of seziure disorder. what is it.? doctor advise us to give valparin 200 1ml aftr evry 8 hours.. my baby's MRI is nrmal.. May i knw is seizurs are the reason 4 dis delay development as her MRI shows nrmal study means her brain's waves are fine.. Plz help.

Dear Preeti,

An MRI is an image study and does not report anything on electrical brain activity, which is the function of an electro-encephalogram or the EEG. As her EEG report does show seizure activity, she must be given anti-seizure medication for up to 2-x years (x may even mean the entire lifetime, or the doctor may take a call on discontinuing the medicine after 2-5 years of regular use).

The seizures may either be a CAUSE of her developmental delay, or be a PART of the underlying problem, which might not yet have been discovered.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.