Pediatrics/vaccination

Question
my baby was given bcg+opv+hepatitis b at birth
at 1.5 easy5+opv+imovax
at 2.5 easy4+opv+imovax
now doctor at 3.5 has given pentaxim+imovax.he has wrongly imovax instead of hepatitis b.

pls let me know if it going to affect my baby and when can i give next hepatitis b vaccine

Answer
Hi Anjali,

Relax! There is nothing to worry. Extra dose of IPV (Imovax polio) will not harm the baby.

Regarding Hepatitis B vaccine, for best effect, 3rd dose of hepatitis B vaccine should be given 5 months after the 2nd dose. So, your baby should be given HepB-3 at 6.5 months of age.

By the way, why was Pentaxim chosen at 3.5 months? As per current recommendations DTwP ("Normal" DTP) should be preferred over DTaP ("painless"/ gentle DTP). I would recommend to go for Normal DTP containing vaccine (like Easy four) for future doses (1.5 years of age and at 5 years of age).

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar