Pediatrics/Very worried.

Question
My son has had common cold symptoms for 2 weeks with a very mild cough. It has progressively been getting worse.  Today however, he seems to be having trouble breathing (faster and shorter) it also sounds like he is wheezing or gasping when he breathes. His cough is very wet and flemy, but it has a honk to it as well...He has no appetite and will only drink milk. He also has had a fever for 32 hours off and on with Ib Prophen and Tylenol alternating..he breaks it but it comes back every time. It is a Sunday night and he sounds miserable and looks terrible. He is 14 months.

Answer
Hi, Ashlynn,

He needs to be seen.  Anytime a kid this age has cold symptoms and then suddenly gets a fever and gets worse from a breathing perspective, they may have a pneumonia or a more common illness called bronchiolitis, or other complications of a cold. Get him in to see your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD