Pediatrics/Behivoral problems

Question
I have a 10 yr old son and a 5yr old daughter. My son has behavior issues. He has bad grades, does not want to study, and even if he does make an effort (which is rare) and learns something, he "blocks" while having tests and has F's or D's
He also has great animosity toward his sister and openly says he hates her. He also says he wants do drop out of school and just have fun. My wife and I tried to provide him as much as possible, and we are a middle class family with not so bad income. We tried to reach out to our son to find out why is he so unsatisfied and melancholic but struck a wall. We are running out of ideas. We tried with corporal punishment, didn't work, abandoned it, we tried with rewards for good behavior, didn't work, we tried with restrictions (no computer, or video games, or bicycle) for bad behavior, didn't work. When we ask him "when do think to improve?" he starts crying and says "now" but that "now" never comes. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Answer
Hi, Dejan,

Sorry for the late reply.

Basically he and you need to see some sort of counselor, to try to straighten this out.  This type of problem needs to be addressed now, before it gets even more difficult to handle.  A visit to your pediatrician is probably the first step to do, to make sure there is no medical reason for this behavior.  A good pediatrician will give you a tentative diagnosis and will, if he/she feels this is beyond their training, will refer to an appropriate specialist.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD