QUESTION: Hello sir.
My son is 1year old and i have started cow milk now...nestle a+.
After having started milk by diluting with water he started having irregular bowel movement. Every alternate day or every two days sometimes regular. I have done stool R/E and stool ph test. In the routine exam the result is negative for reducing substances but ph=5.
His stools are semi solid soft and brown in colour. Now my question is firstly does lactose intolerance or allergy cause only constipation or diarhoea and constipation. I give him ajwain and saunf water and prunes for his tummy and bowel movements. Should I stop milk and yoghurt? Does these affect the ph of the stool. Also if the stool is soft i guess he is avoiding passing motion. Why is this so? Thanking you in advance

ANSWER: Hi Rene,

Babies should preferably be on breastfeeding till 2 years of age or even longer. If it is not possible, baby should be on "follow up formula" and not on animal milk.I would advise you to discontinue Nestle A+ and start Nesle's Nan-3 or Lactogen 3, if breastfeeding is not possibl;e. Otherwise, breastfeeding remains the best that no other milk on earth can match.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

QUESTION: Hello Sir..
Thank you so much for the prompt reply and the advice. I have exclusivly breastfed for 6months and then started solids and still breastfeeding now, also i plan to continue till baby wants to. But i have been told that breastmilk would not provide required calcium and other nutrients available in cow milk. Therefore i thought by starting with that milk. Is yoghurt okay to be given bcoz he loves lassi. Other than that what foods should i give him at this age. His birthweight was 2.8kg current weight is 10.5kg. Is this okay ? Thank you so much

Hi Rene,

You have been misinformed about breast-milk. It is the best you can and should offer to your baby. No other nilk should be used. Yes, you can give yogurt.

His weight is fine.

He should take everything that is cooked at home, with extra fat (butter/ ghee/ oil) in everything he takes. Roughly 10-15 grams of fat should be added to everyday's food that he takes. ONLY restriction in his diet are: Animal milk as a drink, juices, soft-drinks, processed/ tinned food, chips and other junk food. Also foods like whole nuts, raw carrots are avoided as they can cause choking. Nuts can be added in crushed/ powdered form in is diet.

His diet should have food from 4 or more food groups DAILY to make it a balanced diet. The seven groups defined are:  (i) Grains, roots and tubers, legumes and nuts; (ii) dairy products; (iii) flesh foods (meat fish, poultry); (iv) eggs, (v) vitamin A rich fruits and vegetables; (vi) other fruits and vegetables.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.