Pediatrics/Gluten Intolerant & Celiac Disease

Question
I would really appreciate these answers for a school project I am doing on gluten intolerance and celiac disease in children. Thank you!

1. What makes people's body unable to digest gluten?

2. Is it medically proven that celiac disease or gluten intolerances make you more susceptible to depression, anxiety, and self-image problems?

3. If eating gluten doesn’t give everyone the same side effects, then could it really be the same diagnosis for everyone?

4. Is it possible to self-diagnose yourself of a gluten allergy?

5. Is a gluten free diet beneficial to people who are not allergic?

6. What options do families have when it comes to children with gluten intolerance and celiac disease?

7. Why has there been a sudden increase in the diagnosis of celiac disease and gluten intolerance?

8. What is the difference between having celiac disease and being gluten intolerant?

Answer
Hi, Steph,

Really don't want to be rude, but I practice full-time and answer clinical questions 4 a day and really don't have time to do kids homework assignments.  I don't have enough time.  All these questions can be easily and accurately answered by you spending time online or calling your pediatrician for some help.

Happy Holidays, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD