Pediatrics/Hypothyroid in children

Question
Sir,i hv 5mn old girl baby,she is suspected to hypothyroid at birth as I have, she hadTSH level10.93at22days so doc prescribed 50mcg thyronorm to her.After 2months when she is 3 months her FT3 is10.26,FT4-34.26 &TSH-0.005i.e low so doc decrease her dose to 25mcg & advice to recheck at 5th month& now her FT3-7.00,FT4-22.01&TSH-0.064so that is again too low so doc advise us to stop hwr medicine for one month &then recheck but now I m confused.Is it right to stop medicine?
& there will be no problem in her braindevelopment so please advise me what should I do ?

Answer
Hi Aman,

All babies who have hypothyroidism from birth DO NOT have permanent condition. In some bebies, the hypothroidism is transient and it recovers with time, and medicine needs to be stopped. That is why, regular check is done.

In your baby's case, as the reports show, requirement is definitely less than 25 mcg/day. It might even have recovered and the requirement might be nil. Nevertheless, in my opinion, to be of safer side, you can give 12.5 mcg/ day of thyronorm and again check after one month. If TSH is still low, then stop BUT do check again after 1-2 months to be sure.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar