Pediatrics/immunization

Question
If oral polio vaccine have taken before 28 day interval..is it effective...is it effective if taken 26 day interval...is there any problem ?

Answer
Dear Jamsheer,

A gap of at least four weeks is the minimum gap needed for the vaccines to work properly - I mean for the immune system to recognise a new stimulus and mount a response to it. Even better is a gap of 6-8 weeks between 2 doses of a vaccine. Thus, a gap of less than 28 days is not acceptable.However, here, the gap is nearly 28 days, so I don't see any problem.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala