Pediatrics/Large Tonsils

My son has had extremely large tonsils since about age 3.  He had several bouts with strep throat in pre-school, but has only had it twice in the last 4 years.  He is now 9 years old and has very large tonsils.  The tonsils touch and even overlap the uvula on one side.  He has no snoring, sleep problems and may have very little trouble swallowing some foods.  Are these large tonsils a problem and should I consider getting them removed or should I just leave them alone?  His doctor said he would grow into them, but it has been 6 years and they are still HUGE!  I just don't want to wait too late.

Hi, Kim,

If he is having more than 6 sore throats in a year, with fevers, strep or not, or 3-4 in 6 months, most ENT docs would advise operating.  Really if he is not snoring, wakes up refreshed, and is getting this small number of sore throats with fever, I would recommend waiting and watching.  They always could be removed at a later date if needed, although at this age the operation is a touch easier.

Good luck, D.r Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.