Pediatrics/Need to know about the cost of all vaccination given to child from birth

Question
I am confused about the vaccination that are mandatory to a new born child and I came to know every month a child has to get vaccination like rotavirus ,hep,polio,etc.so as a salaried person need to know what all vaccinations are required and can it know what all these vaccination cost per dose

Answer
Hi Varun,

Your anxiety is understandable, since in recent years many new vaccines have come up. With addition of new vaccines in the schedule, the cost goes up. However, I must tell you that vaccines have been shown to be most cost-effective intervention in the long run. The cost of hospitalization and medicines is much much more than the cost of vaccines for a salaried person or otherwise. Add to this the "indirect cost" (missing office by parents, loss of school days and activity, psychological impact on the child and parents both) . Not to mention the "pricelessness" of human life (most of vaccine preventable diseases are life-threatening.

That said, I would also like to inform you that there are more vaccines in first few months of age, after 3.5 months, the vaccines are NOT every month and the cost is also less. After 2 years of age, vaccination is roughly once in 3-5 years.

There is no point informing all the cost of vaccines, first, because cost of vaccines is gradually coming down. What cost  tell you today may not be valid tomorrow. Hepatitis B vaccine that was available for Rs. 3000 when it was launched is now the cost has come down to Rs. 50-100 per dose only. Secondly, although the "cost" of vaccine is same across India, the doctor's fee is variable.

If there is any specific "confusion" related to any vaccine schedule, please write back; I would be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar