Dear Doctor,

You are always great to give ready and knowledgeable advice. This time I have a question regarding vaccination of my 13 month old baby girl.

1) My pediatrist has not given her Prevner vaccine after 6 months of age. Now at the age of 13 months as she has got two consecutive cough and cold , the doctor has advised us to administer Prevner. My question is how many dose should she get? From Prevner website, I got that between 12 to 23 months she should get 2 doses. What is your advise regarding this?

2) My pediatrist has also asked us to administer flu vaccine. What is the use of it? Can it be given her along with Prevner on the same day?

Sir you always remain as a great friendly adviser to me. Again in hope of your reply.

Thank you and best regards.

Hi Noton,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, for a child of 13 months, 2 doses at 8 weeks interval are sufficient.

As far as Flu vaccine is concerned, the recommendations are different i different countries, depending on the prevalence and other factors. IN India, it is NOT routinely recommended. It is recommended only in children with other severe conditions like Asthma, diabetes, renal failure, etc.

2 doses of 0.25 mL are recommended at interval of one month for first time and then one dose every year.

Please understand that none of these vaccines is a "cough and cold vaccine": none of these vaccines will prevent cough and cold. Prevenar-13 prevents pneumonia/ meningitis/ sepsis by a bacteria called pneumococcus, while Flu vaccine prevents influenza infection.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.