Pediatrics/Pulse

Question
Hi I know you can't diagnose but am just looking for general patterns in children with regards to heart rate. My daughter was ill with virus and hives. She has been fever free for at least 4 days and hive free for about 2 days. At a dr visit just to be sure lungs were clear bc she was coughing her pulse was 130. I attributed it being sick at that time. I have a pulse ox from a med supply store and her pulse at night is 105 and day is variable from 100- 130 even though she is just sitting down. I looked at previous heart rates in her chart and they were always under 100. I am not sure if I should pursue this or just assume it is from her illness, but she is acting fine and has no fever or hives now. Using the pulse ox it seems to change so fast like 90 then move to 116 all within several seconds. I just want to know your experience with heart rate and children. She is 5.6 years old and no other concerns. What do I monitor? Is this a normal pattern from other children you have seen? She was jumping on the bed several times and then pulse was 156, all other heart rates scores were while relaxing in a chair.
Thank you
Heidi

Thank you

Answer
Hi Heidi,

Her pulse rate is definitely high and needs to be followed up. However, self monitoring like you are doing is going to be counter-productive: it is very likely lead to more confusion and INCREASED anxiety on your part, since pulse rate is NEVER CONSTANT and very likely push YOUR pulse rate and blood pressure to higher side (anxiety is a very common cause of that): Your anxiety will lead to your little one getting more anxious and push her pulse rate even higher. Just let try to relax and let your child relax and follow up with her pediatrician after a week to see what exactly is going on. If you can't help it, can't relax, you can follow up earlier also: that would be far far better than constantly reading a pulse ox reading.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar