Pediatrics/Terrible Cough

Question
My 4 year old son has had a TERRIBLE cough for the past 2 months straight. It gets so bad sometimes that it actually makes him vomit. In these past 2 months I have taken him to the doctor's 3 times and the emergency room once. The most recent doctors visit was yesterday. He actually threw up in the doctors office from him coughing. They checked out his ears and found that he had an ear infection in his right ear and perscribed him antibiotics. When they listened to his lungs the doctor said his lungs sounded good when he was breathing normal and even when he was coughing or taking a deep breath. There was nothing she could do for me, once again. When I took him to the ER about a month ago they percribed him Amoxicillin and he finished that. My son does have a small optic nerve and we are working on getting his blood work done ordered by the endocrinologist to see if it affects his growth hormones. They had mentioned that if it does affect that, that it may take him a while to fight off infections or colds. This is NOT like my son at all.. He is rarely sick, let alone not being able to fight off a cough for 2 months. I am at my wits end! I just want my son to feel better..

Answer
Hi, Jessica,

A kid or adult coughing this much for 2 months, needs to have a chest xray, a pertussis test, and the thought that he may have asthma.  Coughs can also be due to acid reflux or allergies.  Please see someone, preferably a good pediatrician, who will sit down, get a good history and do some diagnostic things to see what is going on.

Good luck, Dr. olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD