Pediatrics/my 3 year old twins

My 3 year old twins have been having a lot of pain in their upper legs,back and hips but mostly in their legs. At first i thought it was muscle spasms but they gradually have got worse. Their doc is sending one of them to a genetics place but they can't see them until the beginning of the year. They are in so much pain I have never seen them like this. Is there anything that you could give me as a comfort? Any suggestions as to what this is? Thank you!

Dear Melissa,

Normally, I would have thought that painful muscles meant most likely a virus acting on the muscles and causing them to swell up with fluid and causing pain. This is what we call "myositis". However, when the same problem affects TWO children, even if they be twins, I would be worried. While it is still possible for both of them to catch the same virus and cause myositis in both, it is pretty lame as a scenario. Hence, I would definitely think of a genetic cause such as dermatomyositis. Now, DM is actually non-genetic. It is a sort of auto-immune disease. But it has some genetic basis. The other possibility is a form of metabolic inherited disease involving muscles. This is known as a glycogen storage disease. There are several sub-types of this condition, but type 5 is what predominantly causes muscle problems such as the one you describe in your twins.

You may give them paracetamol or Infant Motrin for their pains, but you will need to wait for the results of their tests before any final treatment can be planned. This can mean muscle biopsy as well (they take a small bit of the child's leg muscle for microscopic examination - an out-patient procedure).

Best wishes.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.