Pediatrics/6 month old with uncontrollable cough

My daughter is 6 months old and has a cough that won't allow her to rest.  It started off as croup 10 days ago, she was given a shot of decadron which worked immediately but since then she has developed sinus congestion and cough.  There are no infections nor fever but the cough she has doesn't improve.  I've took her back to her Doctor on Tuesday of this week but they don't find a reason to prescribe anything for her.  I too have caught what she has now so it's basically a contest to see who coughs more between the 2 of us. We are a bit concerned and anxious as to finding a solution that can help my little girl. Is there anything you recommend other than what we are doing now which is humidifier, vaporizer and even steam sessions? Would a saline water aerosol treatment help with the cough?

Hi, marlene,

It sounds like typical croup, that initially responds to a steroid but then you are left with a cough that is more like a cold.  I doubt a saline aerosol would help, but you could give it a try.

Is there any asthma in the family?  A lot of kids w a longer cough actually can have asthma.  Something to think about if the family history is replete with asthma.

I live in a community where whooping cough is epidemic.  This is also something to remotely think about, in a father and a daughter with prolonged coughs.  Really if she had whooping cough, by now the cough should sound weird, but sometimes a vaccine attenuated whooping cough can be different.

As long as she is eating well enough to not lose weight, has no fever, and is not breathing hard and fast consistently between episodes of cough, she should do fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.