Pediatrics/Chronic Cough 6 years old Boy

Question
Hello Dr.

My son 6 year of age having chronic cough from more than 1 year.
Actually the Dr here diagnosed as allergic asthma. He is on singular tablet and Ventolin and seretide inhalers and nasonex nasal spray.
unfortunately he is not getting relief , his chest is always clear no wheezing at all. But he gets cough in bouts on exposure to cold , smoke and strong perfumes and also while playing sports games.
kindly advice.

Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Mustafa,

It sounds like this is either cough variant asthma or he may have undiagnosed GERD.  I would like to be sure he has a normal chest XR and that he has no history of choking on something a year ago.  I would treat him with high dose inhaled steroids and continue the singulair.  If this didn't work and the cough persists, I would have him seen by a peds pulmonologist.  

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Got lost in the Christmas holiday.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD