Pediatrics/Chronic Cough 6 years old Boy

Hello Dr.

My son 6 year of age having chronic cough from more than 1 year.
Actually the Dr here diagnosed as allergic asthma. He is on singular tablet and Ventolin and seretide inhalers and nasonex nasal spray.
unfortunately he is not getting relief , his chest is always clear no wheezing at all. But he gets cough in bouts on exposure to cold , smoke and strong perfumes and also while playing sports games.
kindly advice.

Hi, Mustafa,

It sounds like this is either cough variant asthma or he may have undiagnosed GERD.  I would like to be sure he has a normal chest XR and that he has no history of choking on something a year ago.  I would treat him with high dose inhaled steroids and continue the singulair.  If this didn't work and the cough persists, I would have him seen by a peds pulmonologist.  

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Got lost in the Christmas holiday.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.