My 10 year old daughter Meghan has been constipated for a week now, she has not been able to make bowel movements. I have heard about medicines like Pedia-Lax, what else can I do in general to help my daughter?

Hi, Suzanne,

Our go to med is called Miralax for this.  I would use one cap in 4-6 oz of liquid (its a powder with a measuring cap) 2x a day for 2 days and then the same dose daily for a month.  Couple this with more fluids, more fiber and she should be fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.