Pediatrics/cough syrups

Question
Hi sir
I am having 2 years 11 months old boy..
He is getting cold very often for climate..
How can I differentiate the type of cold my boy have..he is having runny nose,few coughings and little sneezing..
I gave more dry grapes(raisins on one day..after that he got cold...what type of cold it would be?dry or wet?I have to use suppressant or expectorsnt

Ambrolite D having cetirizine,phenylephrine,dextromethorphan and menthol...is expectorant or suppressant?
Maxtra having phenylephrine hydrochloride and chloropheniramine maleate...is expectorant or suppressant?
Zyrtec having cetirizine hydrochloride is expectorant or suppressant..

Which syrup is suitable for my child..

Thanks!
Karthika

Answer
Dear Karthika,

Actually, you shouldn't be using any cough syrups other than home remedies like a mix of honey and rose syrup, or grounded natural turmeric with milk, etc. If at all, you may use herbal cough syrups which are safe for your son. Please avoid Ambrolite D or similar "D" syrups in the market. Maxtra and Zyrtec are both meant for treatment of colds and not for coughs. Even if you use them, they may not really help reduce the cough.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala