Pediatrics/cough syrups

Hi sir
I am having 2 years 11 months old boy..
He is getting cold very often for climate..
How can I differentiate the type of cold my boy have..he is having runny nose,few coughings and little sneezing..
I gave more dry grapes(raisins on one day..after that he got cold...what type of cold it would be?dry or wet?I have to use suppressant or expectorsnt

Ambrolite D having cetirizine,phenylephrine,dextromethorphan and expectorant or suppressant?
Maxtra having phenylephrine hydrochloride and chloropheniramine expectorant or suppressant?
Zyrtec having cetirizine hydrochloride is expectorant or suppressant..

Which syrup is suitable for my child..

Dear Karthika,

Actually, you shouldn't be using any cough syrups other than home remedies like a mix of honey and rose syrup, or grounded natural turmeric with milk, etc. If at all, you may use herbal cough syrups which are safe for your son. Please avoid Ambrolite D or similar "D" syrups in the market. Maxtra and Zyrtec are both meant for treatment of colds and not for coughs. Even if you use them, they may not really help reduce the cough.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.