Pediatrics/Diarrhea - 3 months baby

Hi, my baby is 3 months old and have been having diarrhea for the past 6 days. Brought her to the doc 3 days ago and was given Smecta for her diarrhea and rid wind for her gas. She would poo after drinking milk and again in small qty abt 2 hrs after her feed. She generally would not poo again after this till her next feed. She is on formula milk and is not dehydrated and have no other symptoms. What could be the problem? should I just wait it out?

Hi, Aidah,

Diarrhea in other countries is handled differently than we do in the USA.  Products like Smecta, which is safe and probably somewhat effective, aren't routinely used.  We generally just wait these things out and give clear liquids for a 6-12 hour course and back to regular diet quickly.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.