Pediatrics/high constipation

hello sir ,
my 3.3 years female baby have serious problem of constipation detail below:-problem duration is last 6-7 months,,she try very much but cant success because every time i seen stool is very solid and smellfull so very small piece is stick on back side this happen 9/10 times in a day but not proper stool come. this thing continue 7/8 day and after that we give her medicine and after that she attempt stool after 1/2 dose of medicine.
**now food detai:-morning 1 cup milk and some biscuit/roti then at 12 o'clock take 1 or 2 roti and some potato, 2 cup butter milk and some rice/daal. after that at 4:30 Pm take 1 cup milk and some break fast and at 8 o'clock she again take 1/2 roti and night dinner whichever is available and night 1/2 cup milk .

now medicine detail :- Dr.1 prefered lactulose serup and it works very slowly on her, very hard one big piece stool come and she had pain also. after some time we again meet Dr.1 and he suggested mu-out (dr.reddys) sachet we go for it we uses around 7/8 sachet.
Dr.2 observe her ask everything and suggested easylax sachet(macrogol 4000 IP) for constipation and tell us that u have to passion and continue this drug and not stop directly but following alternative days method. we uses 15 sachets already till now.

sir, after this whole followup i observe that whenver we stop medicine after 2/3 days stool/constipation problem started again and after some more days her food intake became low ,we show  lazyness and shouting(mentally feeling some oddness) in her.

sir please give me some way to stop this.....please

keyur. and my baby nupur.

Hi Keyur,

Constipation is a condition where prolonged treatment is essential for cure. Don't expect results in days/ weeks and stop counting number of sachets given Please continue follow up with your doctor: Your baby would need treatment (continuous without break) for at least 6-8 months, and may be longer.

Add more leafy vegetables and fruits in her diet. Fruits like papaya, pear, apple and pineapple are especially good; avoid too much bananas that can increase constipation in some children. You can add flex seeds ("ulsee ke beej") ion her diet and she should have lots of water. Milk intake (in all forms) should not exceed 500mL in 24 hours.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.