Pediatrics/Vaccines to be given

Question
QUESTION: Doctor,

IPV 2nd dose given on 06-Dec-2014. Can the third dose be given on 03-Dec-2014? (Exactly 4 weeks gap) or it should be given only on 06-Jan-2014?

Due to the higher cost of PCV, I havent given the vaccine yet. All 3 doese of DTP, Rotavirus are over. When Should I have to give Measles vaccine and PCV now?

Baby is born in July. She is a female baby.

ANSWER: Hi Rajesh,

The third dose can be given 4 weeks after 2nd dose.

PCV should be given as soon as possible: 3 doses at 1 month (4 weeks) interval, followed by booster at 12-15 months of age.

As [per new recommendations, released in October 2014, there is no need of measles vaccine. Now, MMR vaccine is rcommended at 9 months (MMR includes MEasles, Mumps and Rubella), 2nd dose of MMR is recommended at 15 months of age. (Earlier, Measles was given at 9 months, MMR-1 at 15 moths and MMR-2 at 5 years: Now MMR-1 at 9 months, MMR-2 at 15 months, Measles vaccine deleted from schedule)

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

QUESTION: In the chart, its given that Influenza after 6 months. Can I give Influenza and IPV-3rd dose together? If at all I am giving PCV, can all the 3 be given together? Any other vaccine has to be given in the 6th month?

ANSWER: Hi Rajesh,

Influenza vaccine is NOT recommended for routine use in India. It is recommended onlyt for high risk babies with underlying heart/ kidney/ lung diseases or other severe immunodeficiecy states, not for otherwise healthy babies.

At 6 month, 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine and OPV 1st dose is also recommended.

Yes, all these vaccines can be given on the same day.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

QUESTION: Sir, I have already given DTP 3 doses and OPV 3 doses. Hepatitis B is included in DTP. right? Also, can you please suggest food for my baby as She is going to complete 6 months.

Answer
Hi Rajesh,

No, DTP does not include Hepatitis B. Yes, there are combinations of DTP and HIb; there are other brands that have DTP/ Hib/ Hepatitis B vaccine. But latter areususllay not used in 10 and 14 week vaccination. 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine is ideally given separately at 6 months of age. Please check with your pediatrician about the brands used.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar