Pediatrics/OPV vs. IPV Vaccination

Dear Sir

Wish this mail finds you in pink of Health.

FYI:- Birth date - 05/11/2014 and BCG & Oral Polio (OPV) was given on 09/11/2014.

I sincerely request your advise on vaccination given on 6th Week - 20/12/2014 for my new born GIRL baby. The below Vaccines were given as Oral (Rotavirus) and 3 injections separately (Sr.2, 3 & 4).

Details of the Vaccinations are:-

1. Rotavirus Vaccine (Live attenuated - Oral) I.P : Rotarix

2. Pentavac SD : Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whole cell), Hepatitis B (rDNA) and Haemophilus Type B, Conjugate Vaccine (Adsorbed) I.P

3.. Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccine (Adsorbed) Ph.Eur.,13/valent : Prevenar 13 Sterile Suspension for Intra muscular Injection.

4. Poliomyelitis Vaccine (Inactivated) I.P; Imovax Polio - Suspension for injection in a prefilled syringe (0.5ml) with 2 separate needle - Intra muscular route (Treferred) or Subcutaneous route.

1. Polio was given as Injection (IPV) on 6th Week & for further courses IPV will be administered. We have not given Oral Polio (OPV) during 6th Week. Please advise do i need to continue the Oral Polio (OPV) along with IPV as per the schedule or not required to do so? - Please advise.

2. The Sr.2 list of vaccines were given as one vaccination (One Injection), Kindly advise on the combination of 3 vaccines given as one injection is ok). Also please enlighten whether the administered method of vaccination is as per WHO and IPA recommended? - Any precautions/care to be taken forward.

3. Please advise if any further and extra care to be taken/noted to practice the best manner for Vaccination to a INDIAN Girl Child (Southern Part - TAMILNADU).

Appreciate your time and advise please to meet the timely input to a new child.

Thank You.

Best Regards

Chennai - Tamilnadu.

I am indeed in the pink of health. Thanks for asking.

1.  Once you have given the IPV, you don't need the OPV.  Again, we don't give the OPV at all in the USA.  Ask your doctor who is more familiar with what they do in you country.

2.  We combine 5 vaccines in one shot, the Pentacel, and this is fine.  I don't know what WHO recommends, only what we do in the USA.

3.  I have no idea about parts of India or specific vaccine needs base on regions of India.  Your doctor should be able to answer this question.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.