Pediatrics/scarlet fever

When a child has been diagnosed with scarlet fever- are they contagious -and for how long? should other children who have been in contact with them also be treated?

Hi, Julie,

Scarlet fever is strep throat with a rash.  That is all.  It is contagious for up to 24 hours after the introduction of an appropriate antibiotic.  No one needs to be treated, unless they possibly have some special medical needs or are immunosuppressed.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.