Pediatrics/Tamiflu

Question
My vaccinated 3 y/o who has asthma was prescribed Tamiflu for prophylaxis after being exposed to the flu via his brother.   He is currently symptom free.  Do the side effects and risks of tamiflu (Steven Johnshons Syndrome is a big concern of mine) outweigh the benefits of potentially avoiding the flu?

Answer
Hi, Pamela,

Yes, they do, this year with the vaccine admittedly being not super.  This is a very good approach in a high risk kid.  Stevens-Johnson syndrome is extraordinarily rare and the more common nausea and vomiting vastly outweigh, in my mind, a high risk kid getting influenza in a mismatch vaccine year.

I would do the same thing in my practice. I and my asthmatic nurse/wife are currently on the med, me for I got influenza, despite the vaccine, and she because of her high risk, ie. asthma status.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD