Pediatrics/treatment for sore eyes

Hi, my 9 yr old son got sore eyes when he went home after school. He's left eye is very red & swollen and the right eye is starting to get contaminated. Ialready give him 2drops on his left and 1 drop on his right eye of Tobrex. Is that safe for him? Is dexamethasone Drenex also safe for him?

Hi, roche,

Tobramycin eye drops are safe for kids, although they might sting a bit more than other drops.  We as pediatricians are very hesitant to give steroids in the eye, for fear of causing damage if the eye finding could remotely be due to the herpes virus.  I would use the Tobrex and if this isn't working, see your doctor.  It should work well.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.