Pediatrics/OPV vs IPV Vaccination

Wish this mail finds you in pink of Health.

FYI:- Birth date - 05/11/2014 and BCG & Oral Polio (OPV) was given on 09/11/2014.

I sincerely request your advise on vaccination given on 6th Week - 20/11/2014 for my new born GIRL baby. The below Vaccines were given as Oral (Rotavirus) and 3 injections separately (Sr.2, 3 & 4).

Details of the Vaccinations are:-

1. Rotavirus Vaccine (Live attenuated - Oral) I.P : Rotarix

2. Pentavac SD : Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whole cell), Hepatitis B (rDNA) and Haemophilus Type B, Conjugate Vaccine (Adsorbed) I.P

3.. Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccine (Adsorbed) Ph.Eur.,13/valent : Prevenar 13 Sterile Suspension for Intra muscular Injection.

4. Poliomyelitis Vaccine (Inactivated) I.P; Imovax Polio - Suspension for injection in a prefilled syringe (0.5ml) with 2 separate needle - Intra muscular route (Treferred) or Subcutaneous route.

1. Polio was given as Injection (IPV) & henceforth the same will be practiced and we have not given Oral Polio (OPV). Please advise do i also need to continue the Oral Polio (OPV) along with IPV or not required to do so? - How shall I move forward Please.

2. Kindly advise on the combination given (Single Vaccination injection combining more than one -  above Sr.2) and type of vaccinations administered as per the details above are as per WHO and IPA recommended? - Any precautions/care to be taken forward.

3. Please advise if any further and extra care to be taken/noted to practice the best manner in Vaccination for INDIAN Girl Child (Southern Part - TAMILNADU).

Appreciate your time and advise please to meet the timely input to new child.

Thank You.

Best Regards

Chennai - Tamilnadu.

ANSWER: Hi Ashik,

I am good, thanks!

I think these injections were given on 20/12/2014 and not 20/11/2014.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO URGENCY in this. One should avoid unnecessary use of "URGENCY"/ EMERGENCY words. Anyway...Here are the answers:

1. Yes, OPV is recommended by IAP in addition to IPV as of now, IPV is recommended at 6, 10 and 14 weeks followed by booster at 16-18 months. OPV is to be given at 6 months, 9 months nd 5 years of age. IN ADDITION, OPV must be given at ALL pulse polio rounds from a polio booth in your area.

2. Yes, this is endorsed both by WHO and IAP. However, separate injections (on S. no. 2, 3 and 4) must NOT be mixed in same syringe. These need to be given separately, as your doctor has rightly given.

3. The treating doctor would take all the necessary care. You need not worry once you have consulted a good pediatrician in your area.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Thank you so much for your kind response. Appreciate your patience and prompt response.

In continuation I have 2 request from your end.

1. Can I have a Latest/updated immunization Schedule/Chart for Indian Child recommended by IAP/WHO.

2. Refering to your response of Point No.1 - Is there any gap requireed between IPV and OPV (if given in Polio booth). For example my normal schedule is on 20th Jan 2015 where in IPV will be given, here in Tamilnadu Polio campaign is going on (18th Jan & 23rd Feb 2015) - The polio booth programme is jus 3 days ahead or later to IPV administered. Please advise on gap required between IPV and OPV if given in Polio Booth.

Hi Ashik,

Since you did not remove the words "URGENT" in your query despite my humble request last time, I am taking liberty to change the words myself. There is Nothing Urgent in the query.

Here are the answers:

1. You can log on to:

This is latest immunization chart, published in October 2014. Please note that immunization is an hot area of research, globally. Due to lot of reseach, changes are occurring at a very fast rate, Globally. As per the iternational Standards, the chart has been revised at least 3 times in last year and it has been decided to updaye it annually for sometime. Thus, you have to remain in touch with your pediatrician for any changes, as they come.

2. No, there is no gap required between Pulse Polio and routine immunization. Pulse polio is over and above routine vaccination. Even if baby gets OPV as a part of routine vaccination and Pulse Polio Day is next day, it should still be given. Please note that Pulse polio and Routine Polio vaccines are a bit different. You need to take Pulse Polio vaccine only from Polio Booths.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.