Pediatrics/9 yr old daughter - headache

Question
For the past two days, my daughter is waking up at night with a headache over her right eyebrow and extending to the side about 1 inch. Everything else is normal in her day to day activity. Of course, I am worried about the worse. Do I need to take her to the doctor at this point? What could it be?

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Gina,

With a headache lasting just a couple days in an otherwise well child, I would tend to just watch things.  I don't know if this is due to injury or something else.  Most of us would feel comfortable watching this type of HA in your healthy daughter.  If the HA worsens, changes in intensity or is associated with other symptoms, then see your doctor. I feel comfortable watching and waiting for a few days in this situation before a full evaluation.  Most of these mild HA will get better with time.  If not, see your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD