Pediatrics/Babay 10 weeks old having gastric problem

I have a baby boy 10 weeks old(4.7 kg) he starts weeping while feeding (breastfeed) starts and continues for some times up to the gas/stool passes or we have to give him colicaid(prescribed by our ped.),after that he is quite,and also sometimes he stars weeping with stretching his body and when stool/gas passes ,he feels good,now this is daily routine.He is passing 4-6 times stool(loose like granules) and 10-15 times urine.ALSO HIS SLEEPING HOURS ARE REDUCED AND HE IS SLEEPING ONLY 10-12 HRS(NOT SOUND SLEEP)FOR 1 MONTH()
Sir please suggest any remedies or medicine to overcome these problems as we are very tensed.

Hi Abha,

Relax! There is nothing to worry, as all this is NORMAL for a 10 week baby. Small babies NORMALLY pass loose stools (even upto 10-15/ day), they NORMALLY have lot of gas (and NO medicine is required for that), and the stretching movements are also NORMAL. They just denote that your baby is an active baby. These movements DO NOT denote any discomfort to your baby.

Sleeping hours also vary from baby bo baby, and many normal baby sleep even less.

So, please don't get tensed and enjjoy parenting!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.