Pediatrics/disposable diapers

Hi Dr. My question is :- Is there any side effects of infant's disposable diapers if yes then what are they and for how long a diaper should be used?

Hi, vartika,

I have seen some contact dermatitis from a specific diaper brand but this is uncommon and usually is better changing the diaper brand.  I know of no other side effects.  Generally one changes the diaper with each wetting, but you don't have to.  They also could be, and this is not done in the USA too much, dried a bit and reused.  As long as the skin remains rash free, almost anything goes.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.